Hurricane Lee is expected to pass by the coast of Massachusetts this weekend, potentially bringing heavy rain and wind. Though we do not know the severity of the impact, it is important to be prepared. The Town of Needham has shared the following Heavy Rain/Potential Flooding Preparedness Checklist:
- Prepare for possible power outages:
- Ensure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and have fresh batteries.
- Charge cell phones and electronic devices.
- Set your refrigerator and freezer to their coldest settings.
- Clear clogged rain gutters to allow water to flow away from your home.
- Elevate items stored in your basement to prevent possible damage.
- If you have a sump pump, check that it is working.
- Remove any tree branches or other debris that may become flying hazards in high winds from your property.
- Develop or review your Family Emergency Plan.
- Sign up for emergency alerts for your town:
Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency
Hurricane Preparedness Tips (MEMA)
Hurricane Preparedness Tips (MEMA) in different languages